Thursday, July 16, 2009

A letter from an Indian mother to her son

My dear Jagjit,

I am in a well here and hoping you are also in a well there.

I'm writing this letter slowly, because I know you cannot read fast.

We don't live where we did when you left home. Your dad read in the newspaper that most accidents happen 20 miles from home, so we moved20 miles.

I won't be able to send the address as the last Sardar who stayed here took the house numbers with them for their new house so they would not have to change their address.

Hopefully by next week we will be able to take our earlier address plate here, and that our address will remain same too.

This place is really nice. It even has a washing
machine, situated right above the toilet I'm not sure it works too well. Last week I put in 3 shirts, pulled the chain and haven't seen them since.

The weather here isn't too bad. It rained only twice last week. The First time it rained for 3 days and
second time for 4 days.

The coat you wanted me to send you, your Aunt said it would be a little too heavy to send in the mail with all the metal buttons, so we cut them off and put them in the pocket.

Your father has another job. He has 500 men under him. He is cutting the grass at the cemetery.

By the way I took Bahu to our club's poolside. The manager is Badmash. He told her that two piece swimming suit is not allowed in his club. We were confused as to which piece should we remove?

Your sister had a baby this morning. I haven't found out whether it is a girl or a boy, so I don't know whether you are an Aunt or Uncle.

Your uncle, Jetinder fell in the nearby well. Some men tried to pull Him out, but he fought them off bravely and drowned. We cremated him and he burned for three days.

Your best friend, Balwinder, is no more. He died
trying to fulfill his father's last wishes. His father
had wished to be buried in the sea after he died. And your friend died while in the process of digging a grave for his father.

There isn't much more news this time. Nothing much has happened.


Love - Mom.

P.S. Jagjit, I was going to send you some money but by the time I realized, I had already sealed off this letter.
_______________________

Dear Mom,

I am very happy to receive news from home. But I did not get the coat you sent me. I checked the envelop inside outside but did not find the coat. Please resend the coat from the new address I may get it this time.

It is very cold here so I cannot be in a well. Last
week a flu tried to catch me but I told him it was
not me so I am OK now.

I am missing you and cry every day because you are away. I now cry more because you have moved 20 miles further away.

I am very lonely and by myself. I needed someone to talk to so I exchanged my bicycle for a donkey. He understands Hindi and reminds me of my uncle Jetinder. I name him Jetty. I send you my picture with Jetty (in the picture I am the one standing on the left).

Here time is 7 hours different so sometime I am
confused when I eat because I do not know if I am eating lunch or dinner.

The black and white TV I bring with me from India does not show Indian movies like before. So I decided to buy a VCR to rent Indian movies but I do not have enough money. If you don't send me money soon I will sell the TV to buy the VCR.

To know if my sister has a boy or girl you can check his name if he has a male name then he is a boy if not then he is a girl.

I will come back to India after 7 years. Please tell
my friend Balwinder to wait for me to burry him.


P.S. I don't have money to buy stamps so please put some stamps on this letter when you receive it. If you don't get this letter after a week please let me know.